Friday, August 5, 2011

Ground Hogs - Zero \ Me and my Garden - Eleven

Anyone out there with a deep and abiding love of Groundhogs better close this blog right here and now.

For anyone else that has done battle with the beasties over control of their garden and the produce it yields,....I have a tale of VICTORY to share!

If you live in Maryland and are lucky enough to have the land and the time to work a vegetable garden you may have had the experience of watching and waiting for that first lovely, juicy heirloom tomato to ripen.



Here in Maryland, if you are very careful and listen to the weather reports for frost,..you can plant your tomatoes in April. Most of us, wait until May. If you plant early and are lucky , you might actually have a tomato to savor by the 4th of July.

For the past three years, I've watched my tomatoes ripen, decided to harvest a few..."tomorrow", only to discover on my morning walkabout that some dastardly, dirty, sneaky groundhog has decided to taste test my tomatoes and left it hanging on the vine. ARGHHH!!

This year I decided to fight back. We hired a "hunter". He brought his rusty, clanking traps and assured me that I would be planting my fall garden in two weeks.

ELEVEN groundhogs (who knew?!?) later....I have just finished planting my broccoli and I am even trying for cucumbers and green beans. (Have you priced cucumbers lately?.....84 CENTS each! Green Beans at $1.99 cents a pound!)

Thank You, Mike!

I can taste those Cheese and Tomato Sandwiches......RIGHT NOW!

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately I know all about those rotten groundhogs! Want another one? If I can catch the useless critter, I'd be glad to mail him to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No thank you Ruth!

    Now, I'm battling those OH SO CUTE, lovable and furry Bunny Rabbits. They are very brazen. They squat right in the middle of my garden and pretend that they are invisible!

    ReplyDelete